Join the first CLF Global Happy Hour!
Friday, January 15, 2021, 9-10:30 am PST
Connect with your peers around the world for this informal, disgitally-distanced social extravaganza to build relationships with other CLF members from a bevy of backgrounds, including an assignation of architects, a shrewdness of structural engineers, a pandemonium of policy wonks, and a cascade of consultants from a convocation of companies and an orgy of organizations. Hear the latest news from CLF and have a conversation with a compatriot you’ve never met. Connect with other members of the CLF community and help determine topics to discuss in happy hours throughout the year!
Zero Carbon: Can Built Environment Education Deliver?
Monday 8 February 2021, 9 – 10 am PST
Buildings & Cities will host this event together with CLF
Education and training are a key means to help address the climate emergency by ensuring a critical mass of entrants to the professions have the necessary ethics, knowledge, skills and competences to achieve a zero-carbon built environment. Is the current higher education curricula for built environment professionals adequate to meet this challenge? What can be done to positively influence the situation?
Carbon Leadership Network Quarterly Calls
Announcements coming soon. Really.
CLF Network Calendar
To add an embodied carbon event to this calendar, send a calendar invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 23 – June 11, 2020 | Wood Carbon Seminars
- This is an online seminar series with wood experts answering common and critical questions about the carbon impacts of wood. The seminars will consist of 4 presentations and 4 discussion sessions. These seminars are organized by the Carbon Leadership Forum, sponsored by industry partners, and will be presented by wood experts from research and industry. Sign up to participate in upcoming sessions.
- May 5-8, 2020 | Seattle, WA | Living Future 20 – Sustaining hope within crisis
- The crisis of climate change is bearing down on the places and people we love. Committed to forward motion, our community works quickly to reverse this course even as a widening disaster looms on the horizon. Yet – why do we still show up for the fight every day? What drives us? The data is bleak. The trend lines are blinding. Any sane person would have thrown in the towel. So why do we keep showing up? Hope.
- March 2-4, 2020 | Los Angeles, CA | CarbonPositive’20 Conference and Expo
- The INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE and EXPO provided a “how-to” for rapidly implementing a carbon positive future through mainstream global planning and building design, practice and policy. Sessions, speakers and exhibitors will showcase innovative construction and building materials, advanced technologies, design and planning tools, and practices and policies that dramatically reduce urban development, building sector, and embodied carbon emissions to deliver rapid and pragmatic results. This annual event is open to all, including building sector professionals, architects, planners, policymakers, engineers, builders, developers, academics and manufacturers.
- November 19-22, 2019 | Atlanta, GA | Greenbuild
- September 26-27, 2019 | Chicago, IL | CarbonPositive‘19 SUMMIT, Architecture 2030/Architect/AIA Large Firms Roundtable (AIALFRT).
- The SUMMIT was a one-time invitation event that convened the AIA LFRT and A/E/C firms to establish a collective plan of action for addressing the environmental risks of unprecedented global construction and urbanization.
- October 8-10, 2019 | Nashville, TN | International Living Future Institute Living Product Expo ’19
- Tuesday, October 8, 8am – 2pm: “Beyond Zero: The Future of Carbon-Sequestering Materials“
- October 9-11, 2019 | Oakland, CA | Getting to Zero Forum 2019
- April 30, 2019 | Seattle, WA | Summit for a Carbon Free Future at ILFI’s Living Future unConference 2019
- May 28-30, 2019 | Vancouver, BC | Canada Green Building Council – Building Lasting Change 2019 | “Stop Shying Away from Whole Building LCA!”
- February 27, 2019 | Seattle, WA | Washington Oregon Higher Education Sustainability Conference (WOHESC) | “Opportunities for University Leadership and Action By Administrators, Staff and Students to Achieve Emissions Reductions” (presentation PDF)
- November 30, 2018 | Online | LCA Data and Tools Webinar
- November 16, 2018 | Chicago, IL | Greenbuild
- June 20, 2018 | New York City, NY | Build Positive: A Carbon Smart Building Summit
- June 19, 2018 | New York City, NY | CLF Meeting and NGO Workshop
- September 11, 2018 | San Francisco, CA | Carbon Smart Building Day
- November 9, 2017 | Boston, MA
- CLF-hosted “Whole Building LCA Practice Guide Workshop”
- CLF-hosted “Low Carbon Summit”
- November 8, 2017 | Boston, MA | Greenbuild | “Kicking Carbon for Credits: LEED v4 WholeBuilding LCA”
- March 16, 2017 | Seattle, WA | CERC Applied Research Conference | “Getting to Zero: Reducing the Carbon Footprint of Building Construction”
- September 14, 2016 | Pittsburgh, PA | Living Products Expo | “The Time Value of Carbon, Getting to Zero by 2050”
- May 16, 2016 | Washington D.C. | Concrete Sustainability Conference | “Comparing Concrete EPDs: Motivation, Challenges and Next Steps”
- May 15, 2015 | Atlanta, GA | AIA National Convention | “Materials Matter: Materials and Carbon Emissions”
- May 13, 2015 | Atlanta, GA | AIA/ACSA Intersections Conference | “Testing Whole Building LCA: Research and Practice”
- April 23-25, 2015 | Portland, OR | ASCE SEI Structures Congress | “Integrating Environmental Impacts as another Measure of Earthquake Performance for Tall Buildings in High Seismic Zones”
- October 7, 2014 | San Francisco, CA | American Center for Life Cycle Assessment Conference, LCAXIV | “LCA Methodology and PCR development challenges for structural building materials”
- April 17, 2014 | Portland, OR | Sustainable Structures Symposium | “Life Cycle Assessment Challenges and Structural Materials”
- September 26, 2016 | Tacoma, WA | American Center for Life Cycle Assessment Conference, LCAXII
- “Concrete Product Category Rules: The Intersection of Science, Policy and Practice”
- “Life Cycle Assessment and Buildings Research for Washington State”
- May 2012 | Seattle, WA | International Concrete Sustainability Conference
- “Environmental Product Declarations: U.S. Policy Drivers and Implications for the Concrete Industry”
- “Concrete Product Category Rules: Technical Details and Industry Implementation”
- July 2012 | Nantes, France | International Symposium on Life Cycle Assessment and Construction | “Environmental Product Declarations for Building Materials and Products: U.S. Policy and Market Drivers”
- August 2011 | Toronto, ON | Building Technology Educators Society Conference | “Teaching Building Life Cycle Assessment: LCA in Architecture & Engineering Education”
- June 2011 | Berkeley, CA | International Society for Industrial Ecology Conference | “Life Cycle Assessment in Building Design Process”
Ongoing | 2018-2019 | Online – Embodied Carbon Webinar Series
Access the Wood Carbon Seminars
CLF & Partner News
JOINT EVENT Monday 8 February 2021, 9 – 10 am PST The climate emergency means the built environment will have to be zero carbon. All new buildings...
Throughout 2020, the Carbon Leadership Forum invested significant resources in developing an array of resources to support effective embodied carbon...
The SE2050 website aggregates a comprehensive set of resources for structural engineers working to decarbonize structures, including: Embodied...
International engineering firm Walter P Moore has released a groundbreaking stewardship report entitled Embodied Carbon, A Clearer View of Carbon...
The letter, written to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change by Architecture 2030 founder Edward Mazria, says that "immediate actions are...
The World Green Building Council’s pioneering report "Bringing Embodied Carbon Upfront: Coordinated action for the building and construction sector...
Published in Buildings & Cities in the Special Collection: "Carbon metrics for buildings and cities" Publication date: September 2020 Authors:...
New WorldGBC report outlines how the Asia Pacific can build back better by tackling embodied carbon in built environment
By GRESB The World Green Building Council launches a new report outlining the climate and business benefits of tackling embodied carbon in Asia...
Introducing Steph Carlisle and Meghan Lewis Today, the CLF announced the addition of two new staff positions to bolster its mission to radically...
A building block in most construction projects, concrete is responsible for about 8 percent of global carbon emissions. Several companies are...