For over a decade, the Carbon Leadership Forum has been releasing publications to advance scientific analysis, quantification, and methodology necessary to understand the carbon impact of design, materials, and construction, and to enable collective action to reduce embodied carbon throughout the industry.
To see all of the project reports from CLF research projects, please go to the Research Projects page.
- Waldman, B., Huang, M., & Simonen, K. (2020). Embodied carbon in construction materials: a framework for quantifying data quality in EPDs. Buildings and Cities, 1(1), 625–636. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/bc.31
- Rodriguez, B.X., Huang, M., Lee, H.W., Simonen, K., Ditto, J. Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing and Tenant Improvements Over the Building Lifetime: Estimating Material Quantities and Embodied Carbon for Climate Change Mitigation. Energy and Buildings. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2020.110324
- Pierobon, F., Huang, M., Simonen, K., Ganguly, I. Environmental benefits of using hybrid CLT structure in midrise non-residential construction: An LCA based comparative case study in the U.S. Pacific Northwest. Journal of Building Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2019.100862
- Huang, M., Simonen, K. (2019). Comparative environmental analysis of seismic damage in buildings. Journal of Structural Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002481
- Rodriguez, B. X., Simonen, K., Huang, M., & De Wolf, C. (2019). A taxonomy for whole building life cycle assessment (WBLCA). Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, 8(3), 190-205. https://doi.org/10.1108/SASBE-06-2018-0034
- Simonen, Huang, Aicher, & Morris. (2018). Embodied carbon as a proxy for the environmental impact of earthquake damage repair. Energy & Buildings, 164, 131-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.12.065
- Simonen, K., Rodriguez, B., & De Wolf, C. (2017). Benchmarking the Embodied Carbon of Buildings. Technology|Architecture Design, 1(2), 208-218.
- Cooper, J., Fava, J., Simonen, K., Boyd, S., Baer, S. (2012) Status of North American Life Cycle Inventory Data. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 16(3), 287-289. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00506.x/abstract
- Rodriguez, B.X., Amany, L., Simonen, K. (2019) “Embodied and Operational Carbon of Typical Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Systems in Office Buildings in Washington State: A study of buildings registered under LEED v3 2009,” Sustainable Built Environment Conference, August 6-7, Tokyo, Japan.
- Rodriguez, B.X., Simonen, K., Lee, H.W., Huang, M. (2018) “Embodied Carbon in MEP Systems: A Simplified Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) Method for MEP systems in Standard Commercial Office Buildings of the Pacific Northwest,” 3rd International Graduate Student Symposium of the PhD Program IIT College of Architecture, Chicago, IL, November 16-18, 2018.
- Ianchenko, A., Wang, Y., Simonen, K., Wang, N. (2018) “Residential Building Lifespan and Community Resilience,” 4th Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, February 28 – March 1, 2018, State College, PA.
- Masoomi, H., van de Lindt, J., Peek, L., Tobin-Gurley, J., Simonen, K. (2017) “Predicting Tornado Damage and Recovery Through Coarse Modeling of Physical-Socio-Economic Interactions at the Community Level,” Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI) Conference 2017, April 11-13, Oklahoma City, OK.
- Simonen, K. (2015) “Testing Whole Building LCA: Research and Practice”, 2015 AIA/ACSA Intersections Conference, Atlanta, GA, May 13, 2015. https://www.brikbase.org/content/testing-whole-building-lca-research-and-practice
- Simonen, K., Almufti, Il, Merrifield, S., Strobel, K., Tipler, J. (2015) “Integrating Environmental Impacts as Another Measure of Earthquake Performance for Tall Buildings in High Seismic Zones”, 2015 Structures Congress, April 23-25, Portland, OR. http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/9780784479117.080.
- Simonen, K. (2014) “Life Cycle Assessment Challenges and Structural Materials,” in Sustainable Structures Symposium, April 17-18, Portland, OR. http://web.pdx.edu/~cgriffin/symposium/SSS_Proceedings_v2.pdf.
- Court, A., Simonen, K, Webster, M., Trusty, W & Morris, P. (2012), “Linking Next-Generation Performance-Based Seismic Design Criteria to Environmental Performance,” 2012 Structures Congress, March 29-31, Chicago, IL. http://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/9780784412367.082.
- Simonen, K., & Haselbach, L. (2012), “Environmental Product Declarations for Building Materials and Products: U.S. Policy and Market Drivers,” International Symposium on Life Cycle Assessment and Construction, July 10-12, Nantes, France. http://www.rilem.org/gene/main.php?base=500218&id_publication=415&id_papier=7979.
- Court, A., Simonen, K., Webster, M., Trusty, W., Morris, P. (2012) “Linking Next-Generation Performance-Based Seismic Design Criteria to Environmental Performance,” ASCE SEI 2012 Structures Congress, March 29-31, Chicago, IL.
- Simonen, K., Moore, E., Cooper, J. & Sianchuk, R. (2011), “Teaching Building Life Cycle Assessment: LCA in Architecture & Engineering Education,” Building Technology Educators Society Conference, August 4-7, Toronto, ON.
- De Wolf, C., Simonen, K., Ochsendorf, J. Initiatives to Report and Reduce Embodied Carbon in Buildings in North America. Chapter in Embodied Carbon in Buildings: Measurement, Management, and Mitigation, edited by Pomponi, F., De Wolf, C., Moncaster, A. Springer.
- De Wolf, C., Rodriguez B.X., Simonen, K. (2017). Counting Carbon: What We Know and How We Know It. Chapter in The New Carbon Architecture: Building to Cool the Climate, edited by Bruce King. New Society Press, Vancouver, CA.
- Simonen, K. (2014). Life Cycle Assessment. Routledge.
- “Seismic Performance Assessment of Buildings-Methodology for Assessing Environmental Impacts” (2012) A. Court, P. Morris, K. Simonen, W. Trusty, M. Webster & J. Heintz. Report prepared in consultation by the Applied Technology Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Accessible at https://www.atcouncil.org/docman/fema/19-fema-p-58-4-volume-4/file.
- “Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Buildings Research for Washington State” K. Simonen, L. Haselbach, E. Oniel, J. Cooper. Delivered to State on September 1, 2012.